Photo: La República Net

XINHUA

International tourism to Mexico plummeted 43.7 percent in October year-on-year, largely due to lower air passenger traffic, the National Institute of Statistics and Geography (Inegi) reported late last week.

The number of foreign arrivals in the 10th month of the year was 2,042,486, compared to 3,628,423 in October 2019, according to the Inegi Survey of International Travelers.

The breakdown of the data shows that air arrivals fell 54.4 percent in October year-on-year.

Meanwhile, cross-border tourism fell by 39.1 percent in the same period, according to the institute’s monthly report.

“Of the total number of tourists that entered the country during the 10th month of this year, 74.4 percent were air passengers and the remaining 25.6 percent, entered by land,” the report said.

Tourism is one of Mexico’s main sources of foreign revenue, along with automotive exports, oil and foreign direct investment, according to official figures.

…Dec. 14, 2020

Leave a Reply