Photo: unsplash

By KELIN DILLON

Mexico’s Federal Electricity Commission (CFE) admitted to falsifying a report used to explain the power outage on Dec. 28, that left millions of Mexicans without power.

Over 10.3 million Mexicans were affected by the Dec. 28 outage, said the CFE.

The same day, Manuel Bartlett, CEO of the CFE, claimed there was no damage to the country’s electrical system, and assured the public that there was no economic loss brought upon by the blackout.

The state-owned electricity company denied that the event took place because of any incompetence within the organization. Instead, it presented a report on the blackout on Dec. 30, claiming a large brush fire near Tamaulipas was responsible for the widespread outages.

Officials in Tamaulipas filed a complaint against the CFE following the ordeal, claiming the report released by the agency was forged.

Now, after publicly admitting to the fabrication on Jan. 5., top authorities within the CFE are blaming lower level employees for falsifying the controversial report.

“The reactions around this falsified document should be investigated,” said Bartlett. “Of course, people will bear responsibilities for circulating this falsified document.”

Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador (AMLO) addressed the scandal during his daily press conference the morning of Wednesday, Jan. 6, saying that the CFE owning up to their mistake is a good thing as it helps government agencies avoid complacency and maintain honesty with the public.

AMLO said the next step will be for the CFE to clarify the true cause of the fire, and reassured the nation that despite last month’s event, “the electrical system is working well.”

Notwithstanding, throughout the day Wednesday, there were reported sporadic electricity cutoffs and temporary blackouts in various parts of Mexico City and in several states.

…Jan. 7, 2021

Leave a Reply