Monterrey’s next two matches in Mexico’s Clausura tournament have been postponed because of a coronavirus outbreak within the club, the Liga MX said on Wednesday, Jan. 20.
The clash against reigning champions León, which had been scheduled for this Saturday, Jan. 23, will now be played on March 10, while the Jan. 29 duel with Puebla has been shifted to Feb. 2, the Liga MX said in a statement.
The announcement came after 11 Monterrey players and eight members of the coaching staff tested positive for covid-19.
“Given the positive cases, we have closed the training center and suspended all training on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays,” read a Monterrey statement.
“We express our gratitude to the league and to León and Puebla for their collaboration.”
As of Wednesday, Jan. 20, Mexico had reported over 1.67 million positive covid-19 cases, of which more than 142,000 have been fatal.
…Jan. 22, 2021