Photo: Google


Here is an odd situation: You were born in the United States. So were your parents.  So you are a U.S. citizen, right? Right!

But take a city like Los Angeles, California, with the second-largest population of Mexicans after Mexico City.

Maybe one of your grandparents was born in Mexico, moved to Los Angeles or some other part of the United States a long time ago, where your parents were born, and later, you. If that is the case, you may be eligible for Mexican citizenship.

As more and more digital nomads look to explore the world, being able to work anywhere that has a strong internet connection, it is worth noting that after living in Mexico for just two years, you can qualify for citizenship.

Here is how it works: Mexico considers citizens all those who are within two degrees of someone born in Mexico, parents or grandparents.

The thinking is that your parents could have been brought from Mexico at a young age and their citizenship documents were never procured.

They have become U.S. citizens along the way, never having lived in Mexico as adults.

However, your grandparents likely have all of the family’s important papers and pictures tucked away in a plastic file, often under the mattress.

With a parent’s or a grandparent’s Mexican birth certificate, you can request an updated copy from the Registro Civil office of the birth state.

To begin the process for citizenship. this certified copy must be dated within six months.

Along with other documents to show your relationship to this person, after living in Mexico for two years as a legal resident, you can then request naturalization based on lineage, and once you have your naturalization certificate, can request your voting card as well as Mexican passport.

This is the same procedure for someone who marries a Mexican citizen, a kind of short-track to citizenship that would take others many years, as well as requiring them to pass some challenging tests.

If you are in this situation, it might be something to consider. Think about how proud grandma will be: Her out-of-Mexico-born-and-raised grandchild is now a Mexican citizen.


Leave a Reply